1 Matching Annotations
- Feb 2023
- Title: Faster than expected
subtitle: why most climate scientists can’t tell the truth (in public) Author: Jackson Damien
This is a good article written from a psychotherapist's perspective,
- examining the psychology behind why published, mainstream, peer reviewed climate change research is always dangerously lagging behind current research,
- and recommending what interventions could be be taken to remedy this
- This your of scientific misinformation coming from scientists themselves
- gives minimizers and denialists the very ammunition they need to legitimise delay of the urgently needed system change.
- What climate scientists say In public is far from what they believe in private.
- For instance, many climate scientists don't believe 1.5 Deg. C target is plausible anymore, but don't say so in public.
- That reticence is due to fear of violating accepted scientific social norms,
- being labeled alarmist and risk losing their job.
- That creates a collective cognitive dissonance that acts as a feedback signal
- for society to implement change at a dangerously slow pace
- and to not spend the necessary resources to prepare for the harm already baked in.
- The result of this choice dissonance is that
- there is no collective sense of an emergency or a global wartime mobilisation scale of collective behaviour.
- Our actions are not commensurate to the permanent emergency state we are now in.
- The appropriate response that is suggested is for the entire climate science community to form a coalition that creates a new kind of peer reviewed publishing and reporting
- that publicly responds to the current and live knowledge that is being discovered every day.
- This is done from a planetary and permanent emergency perspective in order to eliminate the dangerous delays that create the wrong human collective behavioural responses.
- climate change misinformation
- climate psychology
- eco anxiety
- 1.5 Deg C o longer plausible
- climate alarmist
- Climate change underestimated
- climate change psychology
- climate change alarmist
- Climate change is worse than reported
- Current climate research outdated
- permanent emergency