- Sep 2023
the Bodhisattva vow can be seen as a method for control that is in alignment with, and informed by, the understanding that singular and enduring control agents do not actually exist. To see that, it is useful to consider what it might be like to have the freedom to control what thought one had next.
- for: quote, quote - Michael Levin, quote - self as control agent, self - control agent, example, example - control agent - imperfection, spontaneous thought, spontaneous action, creativity - spontaneity
quote: Michael Levin
- the Bodhisattva vow can be seen as a method for control that is in alignment with, and informed by, the understanding that singular and enduring control agents do not actually exist.
- adjacency between
- nondual awareness
- self is illusion
- singular, solid, enduring control agent
- adjacency statement
- nondual awareness is the deep insight that there is no solid, singular, enduring control agent.
- creativity is unpredictable and spontaneous and would not be possible if there were perfect control
- adjacency between
- example - control agent - imperfection: start - the unpredictability of the realtime emergence of our next exact thought or action is a good example of this
example - control agent - imperfection: end
triggered insight: not only are thoughts and actions random, but dreams as well
- I dreamt the night after this about something related to this paper (cannot remember what it is now!)
- Obviously, I had no clue the idea in this paper would end up exactly as it did in next night's dream!
- spontaneous action
- triggered insight
- example - control agent - imperfection
- unintended consequences - AI
- quote - Michael Levin
- triggered insight - singular and enduring control agent does not exist
- spontaneous thought
- adjacency - illusory self - full control
- creativity - spontaneity
- adjacency - nondual awareness - full control
- quote - self as control agent
- Feb 2023
keynote address in !" at the #entenary $eeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. %n this occasion he suggested that the fundamentalstructure of the universe was not matter but action
- action, not matter, is the fundamental structure of the universe
- Aug 2021
historicalknowledge is foundational to beingable to understand ourselves as humans.
Interesting! (Note: This does NOT count as an action.)
In every case, Psychol-ogy as a modern scientific discipline producesknowledge that changes the individuals, soci-eties, and cultures in which it is embedded, andthese changes then feed back into psychologicaltheory and practice.
Oh! I am interested in seeing how this unfolds throughout the semester. (Note: This does NOT count as an action.)
- Jan 2021
Popper for Svelte with actions, no wrapper components or component bindings required! Other Popper libraries for Svelte (including the official @popperjs/svelte library) use a wrapper component that takes the required DOM elements as props. Not only does this require multiple bind:this, you also have to pollute your script tag with multiple DOM references. We can do better with Svelte actions!
The best place to let the developers know, and track those bugs is in the bug tracker. There are hundreds of forums online, all over the place in many languages. We can’t be expected to read all of them. Anyone with a launchpad ID (thus, anyone who has an account on this discourse instance) has the capability to file a bug. I’d strongly recommend doing so, for each specific issue. Taking just a few minutes to do that will help tremendously.
When there are imperfections, we rely on users and our active community to tell us how the software is not working correctly, so we can fix it. The way we do that, and have done for 15 years now, is via bug reports. Discussion is great, but detailed bug reports are better for letting developers know what’s wrong.
- bug reports
- not adding to discussion
- detailed issue/report
- good point
- be specific
- discussion without action
- opinion about which way is better