- Apr 2020
Validate what has been learned and provides opportunities to refine and modify what is being taught.
Def: the process of measuring, documenting, and interpreting behaviors that demonstrate learning (Simonson, Zvacek, & Smaldino, 2019, p. 238).
- evaluation and improvement
- justification for funding priorities
- long-term trends[
1:50 | Definition Assessment is the process of measuring, documenting, analyze, assess, and demonstrate learning.
- provide evidence of productivity and outcomes achievement.
- Provide feedback to both learners and instructors.
- Program evaluation and improvement.
- Justification for funding priorities.
- Identifying and reporting long-term trends.
Assessment and Evaluation is often used interchangeably but they mean different thing.
Assessment measures student learning. Evaluation: gauging the success/failure of an entire program/project/course.
- Evaluation is often larger than assessment.
- Design process
- Design implementation
- Design outcome.
3:30 | Assessment Purpose
Assessments are part of instructional strategy.
Connected to what we do in instruction and learning.
- Learning objectives
- Instruction/learning objectives
- Materials and technologies
5:20 | General Principles
- Clear Statements of what is to be assessed.
- Assessments procedure aligns with characteristics of performance to be measured (learning objectives define the type of assessment).
- Comprehensive assessment requires different layers and procedures.
- Awareness of individual assessments' limitations
- Assessment is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
- Identify instructional goals (learning objectives)
- Pre-assess learner needs
- provide relevant instruction and learning activities
- Assess the intended learning outcomes
- Use the results.
- give feedback
- identify learning strengths and weaknesses
- evaluate goals, evaluate curriculum scope and sequence.
10:30 | Formative & Summative
Domains of Learning | 12:15
review this slide
Affective domain is important. Learners need to find themselves motivated. They also need to find ways to feel like belonging and be part of the learning process.
Feedback | 15:30
Grading | 17:10
Assessment is the process of measuring, documenting, analyze, assess, and demonstrate learning