4 Matching Annotations
- Dec 2023
For citizens,neighbourhoods are the place to live. This is the level at which they get to know each other, build re-lationships and take action to achieve political and socio-ecological change 23
for: neighborhood cooperation - challenges, community cooperation - challenges
- the greatest challenge with community and neighbourhood cooperation is that the great diversity of people living in them can pose a challenge to effective cooperation.
- there is a structural reason for the alenation found in Western communities and neighbourhoods that have emerged in historical context of the three great separations
- the three great separations
- Nov 2023
- for: three great separations, alienation, financial capital vs social capital, the great simplification, linked in post - social capital
Why do we feel so dissatisfied with the Western way? I think it’s because we have valued financial capital over social capital.
for: The Great Simplifcation, Nate Hagen, The Great Complexification, The Great Alienation, three great separations
- Last night, I had a thought about Nate Hagen's "The Great Simplification" project. Seeing Annilina's post this morning made me think of a recent film I annotated on the isolated Jarawa people living on a once desolate island off the coast of India
- Watching the events of modern Indians exploited the Jarawa is like watching colonialism unfold in realtime.
- The Jarawa people interviewed said how they are happy with the life they have lived before modernity discovered them.
- Progress, especially the Western flavored one beginning with Colonialism, the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution has set a trajectory for what we might call "The Great Complexification".
- Remember when watches and clocks were all mechanical spring and windup? Now billions of them depend on batteries. Do we really need to modernize everything? It simply creates more waste and greater demands on nature for natural resources. Do we really need exponentially increase stuff with an Internet of Things?
- Western influenced progress has led us into multiple progress traps, which now make up the many threads of the current polycrisis.
- Along with the Great Complexification, we also have the Great Alienation. John Ikard writes of the "Three Great Separations":
- the agricultural revolution
- the industrial revolution
- the industrial agricultural revolution
- These created successively more alienation. As progress marched towards modernity, we created more and more technology that broke apart community and making us dependent on transportation and communication technology to maintain it or some proxy of it. Today, we live in cities teeming with millions, yet there is widespread alienation in the mere act of walking or driving down a crowded street.
- It is the irony of modernity that it packs so many people into small spaces, and yet we are all estranged to each other.
- linkedin post - social capital
- financial capital vs social capital
- three great separations
- The Great Alienation
- agricultural revolution
- John Ikard
- The Great Complexification
- alienation - industrial revolution
- industrial revolution
- agricultural industrial revolution
- The Great Simplification
- for: Great Separations, Three Great Separations, alienation, alienation - industrial revolution, John Ikerd
- The Three “Great Separations” that Unravelled Our Connection to Earth and Each Other
- John Kkerd