- Dec 2023
In the neoliberal era, individuals are forced to assume sole responsibility for navigating “every hardship and every difficulty—from poverty to student debt to home eviction to drug addiction.” When the pandemic exacerbated these hardships, it was an uphill battle to build solidarity and convince people to support collective solutions. After a lifetime of being told they were on their own, “a subset of the population” doubled down on individualism. It does not, now, seem surprising to Klein that they essentially said, “Fuck you: we won’t mask or jab
for: key insight - anti-vaxxers, key insight - conspiracy theories, key insight - maga, key insight - neoliberalism and failure at collective action
key insight: neoliberalism and failure of collective action
- neoliberalism's continuous assault on society has striped use off any support system, leaving us to fend for ourselves
- when polycrisis events occur, it provokes a distrust of any attempt at government intervention
- this is a sign of things to come when climate chaos will accelerate social breakdown
- key insight - maga
- polycrisis - government intervention collective action obstacles created by neoliberalism
- key insight - anti-vaxxers
- key insight - conspiracy theories
- Sep 2023
- for: Christian nationalism, Christian national, far right politics, Christian right, political extremism, MAGA fuel
- the extreme right, MAGA Republican party is fueled by a movement composed of threatened Christian nationalists entering politics to assert power.
- The extremism in the far right politics is in direct proportion to the high degree to which they perceive threat
- Religious faith can inspire extremely powerful emotional responses and devotion. When combined with politics this can lead to extreme events, such as the Jan. 6 insurrection.
- The mobilization of Christian nationals into local school boards has turned education into a political battleground.
- Jun 2022
While gerrymandering isn't brought up explicitly here, the underlying principles are railed against heavily.
Some interesting things applicable to the rise of Donald J. Trump hiding in here.
Interesting to read this in its historical context versus our present context. So much can be read into his words from our current context, while others can extract dramatically different views--particularly by Constitutional originalists.